Check as follows:
- Acquire a fuel sample from the vehicle fuel tank(s).
- Submit fuel sample for an ASTM test analysis.
- If the fuel meets specifications, check for a restrictive air cleaner; refer to “6.3 Restricted Air Cleaner Element” .
- If the fuel did not meet specifications, drain the fuel oil tanks, refer to OEM guidelines, and dispose of properly.
Use only Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel (15 ppm sulfur content maximum), based on ASTM D2622 test procedure.
- Refill the fuel tanks with new ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel.
ENGINE EXHAUST To avoid injury from inhaling engine exhaust, always operate the engine in a well-ventilated area. Engine exhaust is toxic.
- Start and run the engine.
- Run the engine at idle with a no-load for approximately five minutes, allowing the engine coolant to reach normal operating range.
- Visually inspect exhaust for excessive smoke.
- If the engine exhaust smoke emission appears normal, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut down the engine.
- If the engine exhaust smoke is excessively black or gray, shut down the engine. Check the air filter; refer to “6.3 Restricted Air Cleaner Element” .