SPN 1073/FMI 5
This fault code indicates that the Jake Brake Stage 2 circuit failed open.
Check as follows:
- Disconnect the rear injector valve cover harness.
- Measure the resistance between pin 13 and 14 on the valve cover side of the rear injector harness. If you are using J-48671–10 , measure across Jake 2 pins.
- If the resistance is between 9 – 12 Ω, go to step 3 .
- If the resistance not between 9 – 12 Ω, go to step 5 .
- Turn the ignition ON (key ON, engine OFF).
- Measure the voltage between pin 14 on the engine harness side of the valve cover harness and ground.
- If the voltage is less than 11.5 volts, repair the cause of low voltage between pin 62 of the MCM 120–pin connector and pin 14 of the valve cover harness connector. Refer to “80.2.1 Verify Repairs” .
- I the voltage is greater than 11.5 volts, repair the open between pin 13 of the valve cover harness connector and pin 32 of the MCM 120–pin connector. Refer to “80.2.1 Verify Repairs” .
- Remove the upper valve cover.
- Disconnect the rear Jake Brake solenoid.
- Measure the resistance across the Jake Brake solenoid.
- If the resistance is between 9–11 Ω, replace the under valve cover harness. Refer to “80.2.1 Verify Repairs” .
- If the resistance is NOT between 9–11 Ω, replace the Jake Brake solenoid. Refer to “80.2.1 Verify Repairs” .
Verify repairs as follows:
- Turn ignition OFF.
- Reconnect any electrical connections that were disconnected to perform the diagnosis.
- Clear codes with DDDL 7.0 or latest version.
ENGINE EXHAUST To avoid injury from inhaling engine exhaust, always operate the engine in a well-ventilated area. Engine exhaust is toxic.
- Start and bring engine up to operating temperature (over 140°F/60°C).
- Verify operation is satisfactory and no warning lamps illuminate. If warning lamps illuminate, troubleshoot the codes.