SPN 2791/FMI 16
This fault typically arises from operating under extreme load and high ambient temperatures and/or high altitude operation.
Check as follows:
- Check for multiple codes:
- If SPN 110/FMI 0 is also present, repair the cooling system first. Refer to “97.10.1 Verify Repairs” .
- If only SPN 2791/FMI 15 is present, go to the next step.
- Visually inspect for signs of exhaust leak in the area of the actuator.
- If exhaust leaks are present, repair as necessary. Refer to “97.10.1 Verify Repairs” .
- If no exhaust leaks are present, go to the next step.
- Remove and inspect the actuator cooler lines and fittings.
- If coolant lines or fittings are kinked or plugged, repair/replace the damaged component. Refer to “97.10.1 Verify Repairs” .
- If coolant lines are not damaged and problem still persists, contact the Detroit Diesel Customer Support Center at 313–592–5800.
Verify repairs as follows:
- Turn ignition OFF.
- Reconnect any electrical connections that were disconnected to perform the diagnosis.
- Clear codes with DDDL 7.0 or latest version.
ENGINE EXHAUST To avoid injury from inhaling engine exhaust, always operate the engine in a well-ventilated area. Engine exhaust is toxic.
- Start and bring engine up to operating temperature (over 140°F/60°C).
- Verify operation is satisfactory and no warning lamps illuminate. If warning lamps illuminate, troubleshoot the codes.