To determine if a defective starter is causing no start, perform the following steps:
1. Place the red lead of a voltmeter to the solenoid “BAT” or terminal;
1. Red Lead
2. Starter Ground
3. Solenoid Terminal
4. Black Lead
2. Place the black voltmeter lead to the starter ground terminal;
3. Engage the starter switch.
4. View the voltage reading on the meter.
1. If the voltage is less than specification (refer to OEM guidelines) while cranking the engine, starter replacement is necessary;
2. If the voltage is to specification (refer to OEM guidelines) while attempting to crank the engine, check for internal damage;
Perform the following steps for starter replacement:
1. Replace the starter;
2. Verify replacement of starter;