DDEC III/IV provides an indication of engine and vehicle malfunctions. The ECM continually monitors the DDEC III/IV system.
Any faults that occur are stored as codes in the ECM’s memory. These codes can be accessed in any of three ways:
- A DDR can be used to read the codes.
- A personal computer (PC) connected to the ECM through a translator device which converts J1708 to RS232 protocol can be used.
- The Check Engine Light (CEL) or the Stop Engine Light (SEL) is illuminated.
- The CEL (panel mounted yellow indicator light) illuminated diagnose condition as soon as convenient.
- The SEL (panel mounted red indicator light) and CEL illuminated, a major fault occurred and immediate attention required to avoid engine damage.
- Automatic engine shutdown or rampdown is available as an option. A shutdown override switch is required to allow the vehicle to be moved to a safe location during automatic shutdown or rampdown.
DDEC III/IV features programmable with a Diagnostic Data Reader (DDR) are:
- Active hp braking
- Cruise control
- Engine brake
- Vehicle speed limiting
- Vehicle speed sensor
- Variable Speed Governor cruise switch
- Idle timer shutdown
- Idle timer between air temperatures
- Vehicle ID number (VIN)
- Idle adjustment
- Progressive shifting
- Engine protection