To determine if a weak battery is causing starting difficulty, perform the following steps:
- Measure the battery voltage; refer to OEM guidelines.
- If voltage is between 10.5 – 14 volts (21 – 26 volts for a 24 volt system), check the terminals;
- If voltage is less than 10.5 volts (21 volts for a 24 volt system), replacement is necessary;
Perform the following steps for battery repair:
- Remove and replace the battery; refer to OEM guidelines.
- Verify battery replacement;
Test Engine with Replaced Battery
Perform the following steps to determine if the battery replacement resolved starting difficulty:
- Attempt to start and run the engine.
- If the engine starts and runs, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut down the engine.
- If the engine fails to start and run, check the terminals;