To determine if oil leaks are causing excessive oil consumption, perform the following:
1. Start and run the engine to operating temperature 88°C (190°F).
2. Check for leaks at oil lines, connections, mating joints, seals, and gaskets.
[a] If no oil leaks are found, shut down the engine and check for a leaking oil cooler
core; refer to section 6.2.
[b] If oil leaks are found, shut down the engine; refer to section 6.1.1.
Engine Oil Leak Repair
Perform the following steps, as necessary, to resolve engine oil leaks:
1. Repair or replace components leaking oil; refer to appropriate service manual, lubrication
2. Verify repairs made to correct oil leaks; refer to section 220.127.116.11.
Test Engine with Repairs Made to Correct Oil Leaks
Perform the following steps to determine if the repairs resolved the oil leaks:
1. Refer to section6.1 for exhaust caution before proceeding. Start and run the engine to
operating temperature 88°C (190°F).
2. Shut down the engine.
3. Check the engine for oil leaks.
[a] If no oil leaks are observed, no further troubleshooting is required Retest for oil
[b] If external oil leaks are still present, repeat section 6.1.1.