To determine if a faulty fuel injector is causing excessive white smoke, perform the following:
1. Check for faulty fuel injector.
2. Check for faulty fuel injector repair.
3. Verify fuel injector repair; refer to section 10.6.1.
Test the Engine with Repaired Fuel Injector
Perform the following to determine if the fuel injector repair resolved excessive white smoke:
1. Start and run the engine.
2. Run the engine at idle with a no-load for approximately 5 minutes, allowing the engine
coolant to reach normal operating range.
3. Visually inspect exhaust for excessive white smoke.
[a] If the engine exhaust emission appears normal, no further troubleshooting is required.
Shut down the engine.
[b] If the engine exhaust emission is excessively white, shut down the engine. Call the
Detroit Diesel Customer Support Center (313–592–5800).