To determine if a restricted air cleaner element is causing lack of power, perform the following
1. Remove the air filter element from the air cleaner container; refer to OEM guidelines.
2. Visually inspect the air cleaner element for damage or clogging.
[a] If no damage or clogging is found, check the charge air cooler; refer to section 12.7.
[b] If damage or clogging is found; refer to section 12.6.1.
Replace the air filter, if close to a maintenance interval.
Air Filter Element Replacement
Perform the following steps to replace the air filter element:
1. Remove and replace the damaged or clogged air filter element; refer to OEM guidelines.
2. Verify air filter element replacement; refer to section 18.104.22.168.
Test the Engine with Replaced Air Filter Element
Perform the following steps to determine if the new filter element resolved lack of power:
1. Start and run the engine.
2.Test drive the vehicle to ensure lack of power has been resolved.
[a] If lack of power did not occur during the test drive, no further troubleshooting is
required. Shut down the engine.
[b] If lack of power occurred during the test drive, shut down the engine. Check the
charge air cooler; refer to section 12.7.