To determine if a defective starter is causing no start, perform the following steps:
1. Connect a AMP meter lead from the tester around the positive battery cable.
2. Connect the positive red lead from the tester to the positive battery post.
3. Connect the negative black lead from the tester to the negative battery post.
4. Engage the starter
5. View the AMP reading when cranking the engine
[a] If the APM reading is out of specification or the engine does not crank refer to section 5.4.
[b] If the AMP reading is within specifications check the wiring on the Motor Control Module (MCM).
Test Engine with New Starter
To determine if the new starter resolved no start condition, attempt to start and run the engine.
1. If the engine starts and runs, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut down the engine.
2. If the engine fails to crank, check for internal engine damage. Refer to section 5.4.