SPN 3588/FMI 3 is typically a short to power.
112.1.1 Short to Power Check
Check as follows:
1. Turn the ignition OFF.
2. Disconnect the Ether Start connector.
3. Turn the ignition ON (key On, engine OFF).
4. Measure the voltage between pin C of the Ether Start connector and ground.
[a] If the voltage is greater than 4.5 volts, repair the short to power between pin C and
pin 70 of the 120–pin MCM connector. Refer to section 184.108.40.206.
[b] If the voltage is less than 4.5 volts, go to step 5.
5. Review steps 1 through 4. If the results are the same, contact the Detroit Diesel Customer
Support Center (313–592–5800).
220.127.116.11 Verify Repairs
Verify repairs as follows:
1. Turn ignition OFF.
2. Reconnect any electrical connections that were disconnected to perform the diagnosis.
3. Clear codes with DDDL 7.0 or latest version.
4. Start and bring engine up to operating temperature (over 140°F/60°C).
5. Verify operation is satisfactory and no warning lamps illuminate. If warning lamps
illuminate, troubleshoot the codes. If assistance is required, call the Detroit Diesel
Customer Support Center at 313–592–5800.