The diagnosis for SPN 3588/FMI 4 is typically a short to ground.
112.2.1 Short Circuit Check
Check as follows:
1. Disconnect the Ether Start connector at the Ether Injection Relay.
2. Disconnect the 120–pin MCM connector.
3. Measure the resistance between pin C of the Ether Start connector and ground.
[a] If the resistance is less than 5 Ω, repair the short circuit between pin C of the Ether
Start connector and ground. Refer to section 220.127.116.11.
[b] If the resistance is greater than 5 Ω, replace the Ether Injection Relay.
18.104.22.168 Verify Repairs
Verify repairs as follows:
1. Turn ignition OFF.
2. Reconnect any electrical connections that were disconnected to perform the diagnosis.
3. Clear codes with DDDL 7.0 or latest version.
4. Start and bring engine up to operating temperature (over 140°F/60°C).
5. Verify operation is satisfactory and no warning lamps illuminate. If warning lamps
illuminate, troubleshoot the codes. If assistance is required, call the Detroit Diesel
Customer Support Center at 313–592–5800.