To determine if low compression is causing starting difficulty, perform the following steps:
1. Perform a cylinder compression test. Refer to section 22.214.171.124.
2. Compare cylinder compression test results to specifications.
[a] If cylinder pressure is below specifications; refer to section 4.12.1.
[b] If cylinder pressure is within specifications, call Detroit Diesel Customer Support
Low Compression Repair
Perform the following steps for low compression repair:
1. Remove cylinder head; refer to the appropriate service manual, engine chapter.
2. Inspect the cylinder head for worn or damaged valves; refer to the appropriate service manual, engine chapter.
3. Replace damaged valves; refer to the appropriate service manual, engine chapter.
4. Inspect the cylinder kit components for worn or damaged liners, pistons or piston rings; refer to the appropriate service manual, engine chapter.
5. Verify repairs made to cylinder head valve(s) or cylinder kit components; refer to section
Test Engine with Repaired Cylinder Head Valve(s), and Cylinder Kit
Perform the following steps to determine if the cylinder head valve and cylinder kit repair resolved starting difficulty:
1.2.Attempt to start and run the engine. If the engine starts and runs, no further troubleshooting
is required. Shut down the engine.
If the engine fails to start and run, call the Detroit Diesel Customer Support Center at 313–592–5800.
Cylinder Compression Test