Check as follows:
- Check for improper valve clearance, engine brake adjustment, worn or damaged camshaft lobes and rollers.
- If found, repair the valve clearance, worn or damaged camshaft lobes and rollers.
ENGINE EXHAUST To avoid injury from inhaling engine exhaust, always operate the engine in a well-ventilated area. Engine exhaust is toxic.
- Start and run the engine.
- Run the engine at idle for approximately five minutes, allowing the engine coolant to reach normal operating range.
- Visually inspect exhaust for excessive white smoke.
- If the engine exhaust emission appears normal, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut down the engine.
- If the engine exhaust emission is excessively white, shut down the engine. Check for faulty fuel injector; refer to “8.4 Faulty Fuel Injector” .