To determine if the fuel pump is causing starting difficulty, perform the following steps:
1. Insert a piece of wire through the pump flange drain hole
2. Crank the engine momentarily and feel for wire vibration.
- If the wire did not vibrate, determine if the drive hub or coupling should be replaced.
- If the wire did vibrate, check for aerated fuel.
Drive Hubs and Coupling Replacement
Perform the following steps for drive hub or coupling replacement:
- Replace the drive hub or coupling.
- Test the engine to determine if starting has been improved.
Engine Test with Replaced Drive Hubs or Replaced Coupling
Perform the following steps to determine if replaced drive hubs or coupling resolved starting difficulty:
Attempt to start and run the engine.
- If the engine starts and runs, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut down the engine.
- If the engine fails to start and run, check for aerated fuel