1. Place the red lead of a voltmeter to the solenoid “BAT” terminal.
3. Engage the starter switch.
4. View the voltage reading on the meter.
- If the voltage is less than specification while cranking the engine, replacement is necessary;
- If the voltage is to specification while cranking the engine, check the cranking speed;
Perform the following steps for starter replacement:
- Replace the starter;
- Verify replacement of starter;
Test Engine with Replaced Starter
Perform the following steps to determine if the replaced starter resolved starting difficulty:
Attempt to start and run the engine.
1. If the engine starts and runs, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut down the engine.
2. If the engine fails to start and run, check the cranking speed;
|1. Black Voltmeter Lead ||4. Harness Tube |
|2. Starter Ground Terminal Lug ||5. Volt Ohm Meter |
|3. Red Voltmeter Lead |||